Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Monday, April 28, 2008

Cashew Chicken & Puris



Today in our house, Monday has been officially declared "Curry Monday", with the aim of me trying more or less every recipe in my new favourite Indian cookbook. What makes it even better is that all of the curries in the book can been made within 30 min, quicker than visiting the local Balti to pick up a takeaway! Usually I do a fancier rice like pulao rice to accompany curries, but as were tasting new curries I'm sticking to plain basmati rice for the time being so I don't overwhelm the flavours.

Tonight was Cashew Chicken's turn. The original recipes does use chicken thigh, but I'm a funny one when it comes to meat and don't like the texture of thigh meat (I told you I was odd!) and it also has quite a sizable amount of apricots in. You can add them if you want, but I prefer apricots in my granola rather than curry.

To go with the curry Hubby made some spiced Puris. Puris are puffed up deep-fried bread and are often used as the base of dishes like chicken chat. I left the puris in the capable hands of Hubby as I have a well known fear of frying. Not the healthiest, but goodness are they moreish. They had just enough chilli kick to complement the curry perfectly.



The curry turned out to be very similar to a lovely salty/sour curry I had a few weeks ago in a restaurant. Very delicious. I had to hide the portion I had put aside for my lunch tomorrow from Hubby as he was very tempted to scoff it. I'm sure if you added the apricots it would sweeten it.

Cashew Chicken
Serves 2

3 shallots, roughly chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
30g cashew nuts
1 garlic clove
1 tsp garam masala
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
1 dsp lemon juice
1 dsp plain yogurt
3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 chicken fillets, diced
150 ml chicken stock

1) Blitz the shallots, tomato puree, cashew nuts, garlic, turmeric, salt, lemon juice and yogurt until you have a smooth paste. In a pan fry off the paste for 2 min.

2) Add the chicken and coriander to the pan. Fry for a further 2-3 min. Pour in chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until chicken is cooked.

Spiced Puris
Makes 8

110g atta (chapatti) flour
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp water
sunflower oil for frying

1) Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Gradually add the water until you have a soft, but not sticky dough. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Split dough into 8 balls, then roll out to make rounds about 3 inches across

2) Fill deep pan with about 2-3 inches of oil. Heat to 180oc (when a cube of bread browns in 30 sec). Cook puris in small batches. After a few seconds of being in the oil the puris will puff up. Turn over and continue to fry until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.

Print this post

19 comments:

  1. Delicious, I would love to try cashew nuts with chicken dish... bookmarked :)
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  2. tt looks yum, really what i'm in the mood for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Se ve maravillosos. Looks wonderful and lovely xGloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm... will hav to do that one when I'm back in Cardiff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fabulous looking curry! I must look out for that book.
    (I wouldn't have been brave enough to deep fry the puris either but certainly would have loved them had I a willing hubby to make them!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coffee & Vanilla - I imagine it would also work well with pistachios.

    Diva, Gloria & Fairy Cakes - thank you for your loely comments :)

    Mike - you certainly will ;)

    Antonia - knowing my mum she probably bought the book from one of those discount bookshops, saying that some of my fave cookbooks have come from places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my kind of curry, I love cashews and always grind them up for curries.
    Hey you know what? That hubby of yours should start his own blog - bet he's already got a few fans out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds yum! I am going to substitute the chicken with the paneer (What with being a vegetarian et al.) and try this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nic - Hubby already has a blog out there about the car he is restoring, but I mentioned him having a food blog and he thinks it's a great idea. Watch this space!

    Schmetterling - I think paneer would go great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curry Monday is a delicious idea! Anything with cashews just calls out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jules, great looking curry, I made some onion Bhaji for the first time last week and they were delicious.
    I have passed on an award to you, I thought you would appreciate it. Keep up the curry Monday, I look forward to seeing what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You two will be opening a restaurant soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting! I've never heard of a chicken curry with chicken stock before! Looks very delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan - I'm quite looking forward to trying different curries every Monday.

    Angela - I love onion bhajis! Thank you very much for the award.

    aforkful - :D

    Mallika - Would you just use water instead of stock?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jules

    I've tagged you for a book meme with a foodie slant.

    I do hope that you want to play!
    http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=679

    ReplyDelete
  17. All your curries look fabulous, but this one outshines the lot, I think. Especially when served with those delicious looking spiced puris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Y - Thank you, this is my favourite curry so far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,

    Thank you so much for posting this recipe! Of all the [many] curry recipes I've found, this is only the second one that I've truly enjoyed. The taste can only be described as pleasant. The peanut flavor does not overwhelm, as I initially thought it might. I added a few chilies to give it a kick. I also might try and add some cinnamon next time as this dish just feels right for it. I'm sure I'll be making this a lot come winter.


    If you are in need of a recipe some monday down the road I would highly recommend the following:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Biryani-Hyderabadi-Style/Detail.aspx


    The flavour is unique and superb; don't freak by the amount of yogurt it calls for, it all comes together in the end.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.