Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Friday, August 08, 2008

Cherry Pancakes


When I was a child the highlight for me when we were driving long distances to relatives was the lunchtime stop at Little Chef. I nearly always ate battered fish fingers (the only fish I would eat as a child), Jubilee pancakes and of course the free orange sherbet lolly. Looking back there was probably minimal cherries in the pancake, but it still tasted good!

As I'm on holiday I decided I should make more of an effort with breakfasts. A nice change from weetabix and banana. The great thing about Scotch pancakes is that you can alter the topping you sprinkle on top. As I have some cherries left over and I didn't want to waste them I used them on the pancakes...although the cherries look suspiciously like slices of salami in the photo!

Cherry Pancakes
Makes about 10

135g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
130ml milk
1 large egg
2 tbsp melted butter (allow to cool slightly)
zest of one lemon
150g cherries, stoned and halved

1) Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. In separate bowl lightly whisk milk and egg together, then add melted butter.

2) Pour milk into flour and mix using a fork until you have a smooth batter. Put in the fridge for at least an hour (I sometimes do this overnight)

3)Heat pan till medium/hot. If not using a non-stick pan melt a small amount of unsalted butter in the pan. Use a dessert spoon to blob some of the mixture in the pan. Sprinkle some of the cherries over the batter surface. Wait until you see bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over. Cook until golden brown and risen to about 1 cm.

Print this post

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jules, good to see some more cherry recipes. I don't usually make pancakes due to lack of time but Im off for the next couple of weeks so will have to give it a try. I have posted your malt loaf recipe today - it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have fond memories of Little Chef, and the free orange sherbet lolly which my parents never allowed me to eat. I always went to the one in Little Eaton (Derby). I went last year to one with my husband, and was very disappointed, it didn't live up to my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too used to go to the Little Chef.
    What a wonderful way to start the day - very civilised.
    The photograph captures the moment well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - glad to hear the malt loaf worked.

    Veggie Carrie - I know the Little Eaton Little Chef well. We went to one last year and like you were disappointed.

    Margaret - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really funny, before I even read what you'd written I was thinking that looks just like chorizo!

    They look delicious, I've been making pancakes quite a lot recently, I made raspberry ones the other day but I think I'll definitely have to give these a try, I love cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jules - thanks for visiting my bloggy! I'm SO SO there with you at little chef as a nipper scoffing those cherry pancakes. I'm impressed you remembered their name (or are they still on't menu??) I remember the cherries being in a syrupy sauce - yumm! I can't remember the free sherbet lolly. And believe me, I would remember such a thing. I expect parental intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jules so lovely to see cherries coming int play again!! Your pancakes look very delish :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salami pancakes for breakfast... LOL! Mmm I love pancakes, especiallu blueberry and raspberry ones. Not tried cherries, got to keep that in mind.

    Btw, I have an award for you over at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hayley - I love the sound of raspberry pancakes.

    familyshenanigans - I admit, I cheated and looked up the name on the menu!

    Rosie - it's just a shame the cherry season seems to have been over before it begun :(

    Nilmandra - thank you for the award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's settled then - I'm making these for breakfast this weekend! I'm a sucker for anything with cherries and these look too glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look really delicious. My two favourite things, cherries and pancakes! I can't wait to try them out.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.