Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Banana Bread



I admit, I'm quite frugal and refuse to throw good food away. The odd bit I do throw, usually because it has gone past edible point, always gets composted. After writing my Love Food Hate Waste post last year I've become better at reducing waste and the campaign is now getting people to think about new habits be it using leftovers or getting better at portion control.

Bananas are an essential fruit in this house. My breakfast is incomplete without one. Very rarely are they left in the fruit bowl, but with us being away last weekend we returned to 4 bananas looking a bit worse for ware. Not one to throw away food I set about making some banana bread.

Another reason for baking a cake is that while in Axminster last weekend Hubby treated me to a set of Emma Bridgewater cake tins and I had to christen them. No more battered Roses tins for me. Actually come to think of it the last time I saw one of my Roses tins it was being used to try and save a poorly goldfish in the staffroom. Hmm I'll now stick to my new tins and not let goldfish/stick insects be put in them!

I use Nigella's Banana bread recipe. It's produces a perfect light and fluffy cake and the recipe doesn't need changing in any way. You can also make it be replacing a bit of the flour with cocoa which is just as delicious. The walnuts give a nice texture to the loaf. As you can tell by the picture there isn't much of it left! If you don't have any very ripe bananas, peel them, cut them and blast them in the microwave for a few seconds until they have begun to soften. The one thing I would say is that if you use a mixer to make cakes by all means use it up to stage 2 then after that do it by hand or the walnuts get crushed.

Banana Bread
from Nigella - How to be a Domestic Goddess
makes 1 2lb loaf


100g sultanas
75ml rum
125g unsalted butter, melted
150g granulated sugar
2 eggs
4 small very ripe bananas, mashed
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
60g walnuts, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract

1) In a small saucepan gently heat the rum and sultanas until boiling then take off the heat and cover. Leave for an hour or so to allow the sultanas to soak up the rum.

2)Preheat oven to 170oc. Beat together the butter and sugar then the eggs and bananas.

3) Stir in vanilla, walnuts and drained sultanas then slowly sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Fold until combined. Pour into a lined 2lb loaf time and bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Allow to cool in tin before slicing.

Print this post

23 comments:

  1. What a moist and delicious looking Banana Bread! With some butter, yummy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I love banana bread!

    Saving fish in roses tins, I remember those days. Thankfully the boys have never asked for fish as pets. Aswell as the dog and cat, we do have a few thousand worms in the wormery which they used to refer to as pets. I fear for my children sometimes and wonder what we've set in motion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Banana bread is my favorite!

    Check out my blog for some more great banana bread recipes!

    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana bread and I bet the rum adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a real cake baking thing going on at the moment. Must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I adore banana bread. I'm the only person who eats bananas in my house so there's always a couple going brown, begging to be mashed into bread :D

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks tasty and rum too, wow! That is a good recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never go wrong with banana bread, it's so delicious. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep meaning to try this. It looks lovely. I will try it next time we have bananas in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Nigella's recipe for banana bread too but I leave out the fruit and nuts. It's so soft and moist I love it without having other bits to chew and bite on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love Nigella's banana bread and it keeps amazingly well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bananas and alcohol - wow! Delicious, I'll bet. And yes, I'd have to smear it with a layer of butter...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i made this cake recently and it was fab.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks really moist and delicious! love the idea of adding cocoa, maybe a bit of choc chips too =P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grear recipe and gorgoeus looking banana bread!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bread looks fabulous! I just found your blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks wonderful! I'm waiting to see if we have any bananas left at the end of the week... I do hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rosa - Hubby loves butter on it too.

    Amanda - I'm sure I could write a 101 uses for a old Roses tin!

    Laura - You sure do like banana bread!

    Elizabeth - the rum helps to plump up the raisins.

    Mallika - you can't beat cake baking.

    Katie - and just think more Banana cake for you!

    Holler - you know I love to cook with alcohol if I can!

    Sara - Thank you :)

    thriftymrs - it's a great way of using up bananas and I kid myself it is healthy.

    C+J - I don't always put the nuts in. Depends if I have any in.

    Margaret - Oh yes I forgot to mention how well it keeps.

    Alex - the rum certainly does make a delicious difference.

    Anon - good to hear that is also works for someone else.

    Pigpigscorner - mmmmm banana and chocolate ;)

    Maria - thank you :)

    Maria - thank you for popping by.

    Springtime - I hope you have some bananas left so you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn, that looks good! Just want I want with a cup of tea RIGHT NOW

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh man, I am the same way. I hate throwing ANYTHING away. I have an old cookbook called Six Ingredients of Less and that is where I got my Banana Bred recipe. It is one of my favorite cook books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my go-to recipe for banana bread. It's amazing.

    Anyone who hasn't tried this - make it NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmm - I've got three rather ripe bananas just waiting to be turned into a cake! But I think we've all missed the point...
    Did the poorly goldfish make it or not?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aforkful - it's getting bad here in that I can't have a cuppa without cake!

    J.Danger - that sounds like a good cookbook.

    Evie - I'm glad you think the same about the recipe.

    Merlotti - the goldfish is now in the big fishbowl in the sky.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.