Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Muesli Cookies



The long absence from my blog primarily has been due to major DIY project happening at the cottage. The cottage has been covered in plaster dust and wood shavings, hardly conducive towards cooking. When we bought the cottage 4 years ago the downstairs was carpeted with a lovely cream carpet. Looked great for about...10 minutes. Who ever thought a cream carpet was a good idea in a cottage with a fire was wrong. I got so fed up with cleaning it I suggested a couple of weeks ago that we pull it up and put down flooring instead. In an ideal world we have loved solid wood flooring, but it costs more than we could afford so instead we've put down a antique look laminate flooring (god bless IKEA).

While pulling up the carpet we came across a surprise. We were under the impression that under the carpet there was modern concrete, instead we found the original 18th Century tiled floor. Some of the tiles were damaged and we weren't in the position to restore the tiles so instead have protected them and hidden them under the new flooring. Maybe in the future a future tenant of the cottage we have the money and time to restore the tiles.

Spring is slowly making an appearance in the garden. The garlic is sprouting nicely and the birds and bees have been busying around. I've also discovered a new currency...eggs. I've done a few jobs/favours for friends recently and have been paid in eggs from their hens. I'll never complain about being paid in food! I now have a wonderful collection of hens eggs in lots of different hues. I also have some strawberry plants winging their way to me.



The distinct lack of cooking hit me at 0645 this morning. I just couldn't sleep and had to bake. These cookies were the result; my attempt at trying to make cookies slightly healthy. They remind me of the Anzac biscuits from my school days, but not as hard. The muscovado sugar caramelised leaving the cookies nice and chewy. For this recipe I use muesli base which I buy in a vegan wholefood store, but I have also seen it in places like Holland & Barratt and Sainsburys.

Muesli Cookies
Makes 12

125g unsalted butter, melted
100g granulated sugar
75g muscovado sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
100g muesli base
100g sultanas

1) Preheat oven to 190oc. Beat together the butter and two sugars then stir in egg and vanilla extract.

2) Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into the bowl then fold in muesli base and sultanas. Combine well.

3) Line a baking sheet with parchment and place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the parchment. Leave a big gap between each blob as this mixture has a tendency to spread. I had to bake the cookies in two batches. Bake for 8-10 until golden. Allow to cool for 5 min before transferring to a wire rack.

Print this post

15 comments:

  1. I'll swap you my wooden flooring for your carpet! Having two cats means I have to sweep up spilled litter and fuzz at least three times a day! Argh!

    Cookies look delicious! Perfect way to spend a Sunday morning :)

    Good luck with the DIY!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy! I just hate the mess and dust that accompanies a project like that, but it is worth it in the end. Your cookies sound quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy yummy yummy! These looks fantastic! I am a sucker for these kind of cookies, and have been looking for a good recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the cream-carpet-feeling. We decided to put a new carpet down on the stairs of the house that we are selling just before it went on the market, as the old one was really shabby. Inevitably, within about two days of being down marks had started to appear...it was a really bad move!

    The cookies look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yum, and because they have muesli in them I feel that they are healthy and a good breakfast food! I will be making them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have been busy and I dislike the upheaval of work being done.

    Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks absolutely delicious. And good for your for being forward thinking with your tile floor... I think you did the right thing!

    Found your blog for the very first time today and I'm really enjoying catching up on your posts!

    Dan
    Casual Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orland - thank you for popping by.

    Katie - I have noticed already that I'm sweeping the floor more reguarly, but atleast the coal dusst is no longer getting ingrained in it.

    Holler - I've been driving Hubby mad with "Is it nearly done yet" I'm v impatient!

    finsmon - glad you found the recipe :)

    Springtime - I used to find vanish mousse good for cleaning dirt spots.

    Katie - That's my thinking! :D

    Rosie - thank you :)

    Daniel - Glad you enjoy my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That floor is such a great find! I'm jealous! Jealous of the cookies too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect biscuits to have with a cuppa when diy is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never baked with Muscovado sugar. I've noticed a few of your recipes call for it. I think I'm going to try. Thanks, Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alex - I do love our little cottage for all it's quirks and I'll be sad when we have to sell it.

    Margaret - DIY & cuppas go hand in hand :)

    Leela - I do love Muscovado because of it's texture and deep treacly taste. You can use dark soft brown sugar as an replacement. From what I understand both are v similar apart from Muscovado naturally being that dark brown and dark soft brown sugar is dyed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting that you found those old tiles!
    The cookies look delicious, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. MUESLI COOKIES

    Part of my childhood, they are. I will be baking these now, thank youuu!

    Oh and - we have the original terracotta/clay tiles in our dining room (and wooden floors elsewhere). The tiles are laid straight onto earth and are blimmin' freezing in the winter. Nice to look at, but not the comfiest surface to live with...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nic - thank you :)

    Lucy - I did notice how cold the living room was before we covered the tiles up. Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.