This months challenge from Fresh from the oven is to make a Focaccia using which ever recipe we wanted to. Focaccia is becoming a staple in this house. I probably make some version of focaccia more than any other type of bread. It's perfect for barbecues or when we have people over to dinner because it is easy to share.
I made this variant for my Birthday BBQ and it went down very well. The tomatoes give it a nice change in texture and sweetness. The only slight alteration I would make next time would be to add the garlic to the dough as it caught a bit on top when added to the oil.
Tomato & Garlic Focaccia
Makes 1 large foccacia
Based on a recipe from River Cottage - Bread
500g strong white bread flour
5g fast action yeast
10g fine salt
325ml warm water (mix 100ml boiling water with 225ml of cold water)
1 tbsp olive oil (for the dough)
2 tbsp olive oil mixed with 2 minced garlic cloves (for the topping)
rosemary
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
flaky sea salt
1) Mix together the flour, yeast, salt and water. Once the ingredients are combined add the olive oil. Knead for around 10 min until the dough is smooth and silky. At the stage, if using a mixer, the bowl should be clean of dough.
2) Shape the dough into a round and leave to rise in a covered and greased bowl until it has nearly doubled in size.
3) Tip the dough out and work in a rough rectangle shape then place in an oiled baking tray. Cover and allow to rise for 20 min.
4) Preheat the oven to 250oc (or as high as it will go). When the bread has had its half hour rise prod it with your fingers to get the cratered texture then push the tomato halves into the dough. Drizzle with the garlicky olive oil then sprinkle with salt & rosemary.
5) Bake for 10 min then bake for a further 10min at 200oc. Leave to cool on a wire rack for around 10 min before serving.
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Fresh from the oven - Tomato & Garlic Focaccia
Labels:
baking,
blog event,
bread,
Fresh from the oven
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a magnificent focaccia! Really tempting and flavorful!
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Rosa
Jules your focaccia looks stunning. I recently bought the River cottage Bread book. I found it so good and very enlightening. I just loved the laid back way you man Daniel Stevens has in the kitchen. My sort of baker. I finally lost my fear of sourdough because of him :)
ReplyDeleteThis sounds lush! Love the idea of having tomatoes in my bread!
ReplyDeleteThe prettiest focaccia on the planet!
ReplyDeleteYour bread looks fantastic. I used the same recipe as you but my picture is not as impressive looking! I used olives instead of tomatoes. I love the river cottage bread book!
ReplyDeleteYour focaccia looks so good. Garlic is always a good choice!
ReplyDeleteYou did a beautiful job, and the tomatoes look so pretty in it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfect recipe to help me conquer my yeast-phobia! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteDan
Casual Kitchen
I love focaccia - it always reminds me of summer long lunches. This looks delicious :)
ReplyDeleteLooks great Jules and I love the addition of tomatoes. Wonderful :)
ReplyDeleteanother one to tag for when I (hopefully) get lots of home grown toms from the allotment. I don't make much bread but this looks like a winner in the ease and time stakes. thanks for sharing x
ReplyDeleteJules, this looks amazing! I must make my own one day soon.
ReplyDeleteMaria
x
Hey Jules, I just arrived home and opened my emails to find your message and your fabulous looking focaccia. Thanks for the email. I'm definitely making this one and investigating the "River Cottage - Bread".
ReplyDeleteRosa & curious cat- The tomatoes gave it a delicious flavour.
ReplyDeleteRhyleysgranny - Dan is very much laid back in real life. I met him back in Feb when I did a course at RC. I'm attempting his sourdough soon.
Elra, Sophie & Heavenly Housewife- thank you :)
Claire - I've been looking through the book this afternoon so work out my next project.
Debyi - I have to admit I love garlic.
Dan - certainly try this recipe. I've made it so many times and never has it not worked. Focaccia is quite a forgiving bread and perfect for yeastphobics.
Lucy - I agree, it is a perfect summer bread.
Nipitinthebud - it's a great sharing loaf and also freezes well.
Maria - I warn you it becomes quite addictive to make.
Corry - I thoroughly belive it is hte best bread book out there. I've done quite a few recipes from the book and not one has gone wrong.
That looks brilliant. I might have to give it a go!
ReplyDelete