Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Christmas Marzipan Cake



Ok, ok I know it's September and usually I wouldn't be thinking of Christmas let alone beginning to bake for it for a while but I have some excuses. 1) October, when I usually bake Christmas Cake is booking up fast, 2) I want to feed and feed the cake, 3) the generous Wm Morrisons contacted me and ask if I would like to submit a Christmas Cake recipe for their customers to try and as a thank you they would send me a big box of ingredients.

I played around with a few ideas including Guinness and fruit beer (for any regular readers of my blog this won't surprise them one bit!) and settled on the idea of a marzipan laden cake...minus icing. This is based on the fact I'm not a big icing fan as I find the majority far too sweet. At Christmas time will gladly pick off all the icing on a Christmas Cake to be just left with the delicious marzipan and fruit cake. Now I understand that marzipan is a bit of a marmite ingredient; People either love it or hate it. I love it. The reason for soaking the fruit in orange juice rather than the traditional alcohol is that this really does enhance the taste of the fruit of the cake. The alcohol will come later!



I decided to essentially combine the succulent fruits of my Simnel Cake with the marzipan filling of a stollen and together they made a delicious cake that looks a bit like a Dundee Cake, but smells of sweet, sweet marzipan. The aroma in the kitchen as I was baking this cake was amazing. Due to the amount of ingredients crammed into such a small cake along with the juicy fruit it did take longer than a usual fruit cake to bake. For a change we are planning to start eating this in early December and not leave it until Christmas Day when by then you begin to become thoroughly sick of anything too heavy & fruit laden.

Ideally a Christmas cake should be made no later than 1 week before it is needed. The longer the cake is left the more it matures and the flavours develop. If stored correctly Rich fruit cakes can last for up to a year.

Maybe I should start a trend - Christmas Cakes aren't just for Christmas...

Christmas Marzipan Cake

Makes a 18cm round / 15cm square cake

100ml orange juice
150g sultanas
100g raisins
100g currants
50g dried cranberries
50g dried apricots, quartered
50g dates, stoned & quartered
50g glace cherries, halved
50g mixed peel
110g butter, softened
90g muscovado sugar (or soft dark brown sugar)
2 eggs
250g plain flour
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
50g flaked almonds
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbsp marmalade
1 tbsp black treacle (this gives the cake both taste & colour)
200g marzipan cubed & frozen (you can find my recipe for it here)
whole almonds for decoration
Rum, brandy or whisky for glazing

1) Before making a start on the cake soak all of the fruit in the orange juice overnight and make sure the cubed marzipan is in the freezer.

2) Line grease and line your tin with both baking parchment and greaseproof paper. For good instructions on how to do this pop over to dear Delia. Preheat oven to 150oc.

3) Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time to stop the mixture curdling. If it does begin to curdle stir in a handful of the flour. Once eggs have been added stir in the almond extract, marmalade & treacle.

4) Next, stir in the remaining ingredients alternating between the marzipan, fruit and flour. Mix until well combined. If the mixture becomes too stiff to mix add a splash of milk to loosen the mixture.

5) Pour into the lined tin, level the top of the cake then decorate with the almonds. Bake for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean of cake mix.

6) Remove from the oven brush the cake with your chosen article then allow to cool completely in the tin. Remove from the tin and wrap in fresh greaseproof paper. Store in a preferably airtight tin or container until ready to eat.

7) Every 3-4 week make holes in the top of the cake using a skewer and feed with your chosen alcohol. I use around 50ml of alcohol per feed. Try not to over feed the cake as this can make the cake soggy, dense and a texture more akin to a Christmas Pudding.

Print this post

28 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I have 2 questions:
    Were the nuts you've added for decoration added before of after baking?

    Having never fed a cake before, how much alcohol would you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon, thanks for pointing that out for me. I have now amended the recipe.

    1) I added the whole almonds just before the cake went in the oven.

    2) For each feed I use around 50ml of alcohol, which is the same as an alcohol miniture.

    Hope this helps
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of an un-iced cake with marzipan in the actual cake, but I would never be allowed to get away with it in my family! This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know that some people didn't like Marzipan! I have to admit I'm exactly like you, will pick off all the icing and leave it sitting on my plate.

    I've never made a Christmas cake and it does seem a bit early ;) but I remember my Mum feeding ours every year.

    I am seriously tempted to give this a shot but not sure that our family needs two, maybe I can pass it off on to friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful. My mother and I intend to make on in October in preparation for xmas. I was suggesting to her no icing but she is a bit against this idea but your recipe might be a good compromise! I also like the orange juice idea too! I'll run it past her anyway and let you know how it turns out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jules,

    I am new to your blog and really like it- it's gorgeous! well done! This cake looks brilliant. I think fruit cake is something you grow into- I never liked it as a child, but am more up for it now I am, ahem, older. I am hosting christmas for the first time ever this year (am I mad?) and will be giving your icing free cake a whirl. I LOVE marzipan and not so keen on icing, so this is the cake for me. Handsome husband isnt keen on marzipan, but that just means more for me. Hooray!

    Ive added a link to your on mine (adventures-in-cake.blogspot.com) so I can keep up with your posts.

    well done again, lovely stuff!

    Love abi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree - Christmas cakes aren't just for Christmas. I always make my Dad one for his birthday in April too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm a marzipan lover, but am not so great with fruit cakes. Yours does look beautiful though and I'd definitely have to try some if it was in front of me. I can't believe it is getting to this time of year already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the Christmas cake all-year-round idea. We're still eating the second 'Christmas' cake I made last October. We only cut the first slice in August and it's delicious - give me cheese, an apple and a slice and I'm very happy.

    I think I may try your recipe for my second cake (I usually do two - one traditional and one alternative). It looks great. I bet you want to eat it already!

    Have you seen Delia's Happy Christmas advertised? I placed my pre-order on Amazon today, a sign that Christmas is not too far away.

    Loving the blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG - that looks sooooooooooo good! And I don't even like marzipan lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking of making my xmas cake next weekend actually, yours looks really nice! I know what you mean about the icing, my mum always ends up picking it off anyway! But i think it does look nice when it's all white, and then i can decorate it, so we'll see, i haven't made my mind up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It may only be September, but its October tomorow! And I was overexcited as soon as I saw the word "Christmas" in the blog title :) I have such a sweet tooth I love both marzipan AND icing - so this marzipan loaded cake looks utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks lovely, bring on out of season festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can almost smell your gorgeous cake. Lucky customers at Morrisons!

    ReplyDelete
  15. TC - ah no, just think more cake for you!

    Lauren - Certainly give it a go. This recipe makes a smaller cake than what a lot of other recipes make. It will always keep for a long time as long as it is stored correctly.

    The Curious Cat - Hope you mum agrees to this recipe.

    Hi Abi, good to see you here. You can always make the cake more Hubby friendly by leaving out the marzipan & almond extract.

    The Caked Crusader - I think I should make them more often.

    Sylvie - it'll be here before we know it.

    6p - Hubby loves to eat his with cheese & port. If you do make it let me know how you find it. I haven't seen Delia's new book yet.. I wonder if I can sneek it in the house without hubby noticing...

    Chele - it must be good then!

    Petit Filoux - I know what you mean about how lovelt a christmas cake looking all nice iced in white.

    Lucy - if you wanted a super marzipan hit you could leave out the almond decoration and marzipan & ice it too.

    Mallika - I agree, bring it on!

    Janice - once the recipe is up on their site I'll link to it on here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderful! I can't wait to start my cake this year. I am backing your trend to eat the cake early in December! :) You're so right! no one fancies it on xmas day, then everyone is on diets in Jan. This is my first visit to your blog and it is fab, very inspiring recipes. I'll be back! Best wishes, Lucie
    http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for Christmas! Maybe this year I'll finally make a cake like this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea Jules, my mum always lays the almonds on the top before baking her cake too.
    (And I'm not mad on the icing either!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I would have loved to have been hanging around your kitchen when you were cooking this. Looks incredible. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous cake!! Makes me long for Christmas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely offer from WM and what a lovely cake you made :) These activities are great fun for bloggers aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  22. we try not to mention the C******** word in our house until December. A little covert cooking soon for a home baked cake to share is a wonderful idea and as I'm not a fan of icing either this is perfect. I foresee lots of Julie cakes being made this festive season ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great looking cake and I love the ingredients list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So I could really make this, like, soon? And it will keep until December? Anything older than four days makes me nervous, but ohhh how I love Christmas cake and marzipan. Can I store it in the refrigerator? Thank you! This looks truly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucie - glad you find my blog inspiring. Hope to see you back soon.

    The Gourmet on a Diet - go on you know you want to ;)

    Nic - good to see I'm not the only one who's not a fan of icing. Loved your twist on an xmas cake too.

    Top Bird - The almondy scent was gorgeous.

    Melanie - thank you :)

    Margaret - I think it's one of the biggest ingredients lists I've done and I was so concious of missing something offf.

    CinnamonQuill - The alcohol and sugar from the dried fruits (& the extra sugar you add) preserves the cake. Here in the UK a traditional wedding cake is made in a similar way and traditionally the top tier is kept for the first child's Christening. Don't store it in the refrigerator as it will dry it out. Store it wrapped up in baking paper & foil inside an airtight tin/tupperware box. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Jules,

    Am new your fabulous blog! Mmmm makes me drool just looking at the pics!

    Do you miss Tzooreki and vasilopita being Greek?
    I've relocated to Athens from London because the boyfriend owns a zakharoplastio (cake shop)... oh and of course I love him loads! ;)

    Look forward to seeing more yummylicious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sandra - thank you for popping by. I'm not Greek but am a Geek of the science/maths/food variety.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.