Today has been "come and visit the chicks" Day. The kids loved to stroke and hold them. To go with the countless cups of tea being made today I made a malt loaf. This was partially inspired by the jar of malt extract I found at the back of my baking cupboard. It only comes out when I'm making malt loaf or granola.
My memories of malt loaf go back to my school days where we used to literally fight over the slightly burnt corner piece of malt loaf that had a lovely caramelised, chewy texture. This recipe isn't as chewy as Soreen, but the taste is very close. If you want you can soak the fruit in tea for 30 min before adding to the cake mix.
Malt Loaf
75ml/3fl strong hot tea
8 tbsp (about 200g) malt extract
175g/6oz self-raising flour
1/2 tsp mixed spice
150g / 6oz mixed fruit
1 egg
1) Preheat oven to 140oc. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment. Mix malt extract and tea, then allow to cool
2)Mix all ingredients together, including malty tea and pour into tin. Bake for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. Stand for 10 min before slicing.
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Sunday, March 09, 2008
Malt Loaf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i love malt loaf and can not seem to buy it over here so may well have a go making it
ReplyDeletethanks for the recipe
steve
Oooh - delicious! We used to call this 'sticky bread' when we were little. I just love the flavour - perfect with a cup of tea.
ReplyDeleteI'm not crazy on too much mixed fruit, but your malt loaf looks really tasty, good colour too!
ReplyDeletethepowerguides - I don't know where I would be without my malt loaf!
ReplyDeleteantonia - I find malt loaf gets better and sticker after about 12 hours of making it.
nic - you can make it with just sultanas/raisins.
jules there are a number of things that I find nearly impossible to get over here malt loaf, real christmas cake with hard icing and something not related to food called radox ( it's a bath thing so when the kids come over together with a number of specific sweets ( American Hard Gums ) heheeh can not get them in england they come over with bits for us my wife who is american loves jelly babies and rowntrees pastiles
ReplyDeletesteve
Hi, I recently discovered your blog, and as a newly-wed myself it has inspired me to start baking. Your pics are so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI've always loved malt loaf, and yours looks absolutely delicious. However, I never realiesd that malt loaf contains tea (something that I really dislike!).
In all these years, it's never occurred to me to make malt loaf! Weird, really, since I love malt loaf, and love cooking. Oh well. I'll be having a go now - thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteOh Jules malt loaf oh my oh my I adore this!! This truly looks delicious with all those swollen fuits mmmmm
ReplyDeleteRosie x
Jules your Malt Loaf looks right up my street. I've never made my own but I'll be trying out your recipe soon ;o)
ReplyDeleteMaria
x
thepowerguides - It's funny thinking of products that are so popular here in the UK are hard to find in other countries.
ReplyDeleteVeggiecarrie - glad to have inspired you :) I'm sure you could make it with out the tea.
aforkfulspaghetti - hope you enjoy it.
rosie - if you soak the fruit in tea for a bit before you get even juicier fruit.
maria - let me know how you get on :)
hi..this sounds great! Can I find Malt in a regular UK grocery store..would you know? Guess I've never looked! Thanks.
ReplyDeletem&m - I buy malt extract in either Julien Graves or Holland & Barrat. I'm sure you must be able to buy it in bigger Tesco's or Sainsburys but whenever I've asked for it in there I've been given a gone out look!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of malt loaf before. I'd be curious to try it. I can't quite picture what it would taste like.
ReplyDeleteStef - the best way I can descibe malt loaf is that it's a sticky, heavy, dark fruit bread that has a hint of malt. Not much different from a tea loaf, but stickier.
ReplyDeleteare you using a dried malt extract or is it barley malt syrup? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteJane - I use barley malt syrup. I didn't know you could get dried malt extract. Hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteI do malt loaf but haven't used the extract in granola - what proportions do you do?
ReplyDeleteGreedy nan - You can find my granola recipe here: http://traineedomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-love-my-breakfasts-especially-granola.html
ReplyDeleteHope this helps.
Delicious. I may have been a bit heavy-handed with the malt syrup, but this turned out just as dark and sticky as the Soreen malt loaf I remember from England.
ReplyDeleteLily - glad the recipe worked for you. It's one of my favourite cakes to bake.
ReplyDelete