This post should really be titled "The Hubby who wants to be Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall", oh and I before I go on I suggest veggies, click away now! Hubby's first flit with being Hugh started last summer when he built a clay oven in the back garden. Give him his due it turned out to be a fab oven and that blog post still remains one of my top google hits. With summer just about here Hubby has put his Hugh hat back on.
This time it's the turn of nettle Beer, bacon, salami & chorizo. It has reached the point to where he has built his own smoker and the outhouse has become the place of preserved meat all hanging from the beams. All of this has come about since I purchased Meat. I am thinking of also buying Fish, but am a bit hesitant as to the fact I may come home one day and find Hubby filleting a huge fish ready to smoke in his homemade smoker!
A couple of weeks ago hubby started on the cured belly pork, which in theory will turn into streaky bacon. He dry cured it with salt, peppercorns and bay leaves, wrapped it in muslin then hung it in the outhouse to dry for a week. The first time we tried it, it was unbearably salty because Hubby hadn't washed the salt cure off properly so after a good soaking in water and another week of hanging it's now tasting a great deal more edible. In the next few weeks he is planning to smoke half of it. Some people use saltpetre to maintain the colour of the meat however were unable to get our hands on saltpetre (unbeknown to us at the time apparently used in bomb making) not surprisingly the woman in Holland & Barret gave us a rather scared look when we asked for it!
This weekend Hubby's new sausage making kit arrived so he decided to try and make chorizo and salami. The basic method for the two are very similar apart from chorizo has paprika and the salami he made had different spices and pistachios in it. I have to admit I left him too it. The sight of the ox runners (intestines) were reminding me too much of specimens I studied during the Parasitology module in Uni! Given the fact I was slightly freaked out by the ox runners the meat mixes he made up smelt very authentic. These sausages are also now hanging up in the outhouse. I look forward to trying them in about 4 weeks time. The Cottage Smallholder are also curing pork and salami at the moment and it has been great reading their blog and getting tips.
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Makin' bacon ... plus salami & chorizo - part 1
Labels:
basics,
Edible projects,
Hubby,
pork
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
They look very professional :) Well done. Nothing I will be attempting though!!
ReplyDeleteWow - how very adventurous! Look forward to hearing how they turn out. Looks most impressive.
ReplyDeleteHugh had better be watching out!
ReplyDeleteI so wish I had the spacve to do this! I would be exactly the same - good luck!
ReplyDeleteHow brilliant! You're well on your way to the Good Life aren't you?!
ReplyDeleteI must say, I am very envious of your "very capable in the kitchen and handy with food" hubby! My man is more a "101 variations on spaghetti bolognaise" type of guy ;-) However, he does love my cooking and tells me so often enough to keep it coming!!
ReplyDeleteInteresting post, will look forward to seeing how they turn out!
ReplyDeleteReally interesting post, I look forward to hearing how it tastes. Its looks very good!
ReplyDeleteClaire - thank you. I think I'll be leaving the sausage making to hubby!
ReplyDeleteAntonia - thank you :)
Aforkful - I wouldn't mind Hugh's River Cottage either!
Helen - our house is tiny, but fortunately we have an equally tiny outhouse in the garden.
Ginger - we certainly are!
Ladyfriend - trust me, when we first got together 7 years ago all he could cook was ready meals. We've both learnt to cook together.
Nic & Kerry - glad you found it interesting. I have to admit I was quite intriged to see it all go together and watch the curing process slowly take place.
I'm seriously impressed!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the link! Your salami looks fab.
ReplyDeleteWe are working on a recipe for bacon cured with very little salt at the moment. So far so good. Most of the cure is made from black treacle and a 30 hour smoke.
Just bought two Edwardian meat safes on Ebay for the salami.
This is such fun!
Looks good. Just thought I should say that I have the River Cottage Fish Book and its great. Would definitely recommend it!
ReplyDeleteVery impressive! Perhaps, I should forward this entry to my hubby- get him to make me a couple of homemade sausages!
ReplyDeleteSylvie - Your comment, along with everyone elses comment has made Hubby feel very proud of himself.
ReplyDeleteCottage Smallholder - The treacle cure sounds really interesting and tasty. I look forward to reading about it.
Serena - well as it is pay day tomorrow I think I need to visit amazon ;)
Pixie - You should certainly get your Hubby in on the action! I think Hubby found it easier than expecting.
I just finished my first attempt at bacon also; at it was wonderful! The recipe was from Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn’s “Charcuterie”. I was so surprised on how easy the process was, and home smoking added the final level of flavor.
ReplyDeleteYou can find curing salt here at www.buther-packer.com
I now have a 4 pound pork loin brining for Canadian Bacon.