Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Say "Hello" to Tikka and friends!


Every year at school, around this time, we have Living Eggs. This years batch were delivered on Monday afternoon and by Wednesday afternoon all had hatched. The kids have been obsessed with them, finding any excuse to go out and look at them. As they needed to be looked after over the weekend I offered to chicksit. They are now living in a brooder on our dining table.

They are now 4 days old and how much they have grown. Over the last day the adult feathers on the wings have appeared and they have started pecking. Hubby (who now thinks he is Hugh F-W!) is becoming very attached to them. They are very cute and very cheeky. Earlier one was sitting on top of the water dispenser and seeing how far they jump could across the brooder. If we had room I'm sure we would have chickens, but right now it's just not possible.



On Friday the chicks will return to the company where they will become free-range chickens (I don't know what happens to the male chicks) or responsible families will be able to take some chicks home. I'm not sure if the kids are associating the fact that these little chicks will grow up to provide us with eggs and meat. If asked the question "Where do eggs come from?" they would still reply "Tesco"!

Print this post

10 comments:

  1. They are SO cute. What a lovely way to spend a weekend, chick-sitting. Ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH, I love them. They are sooooo cute!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want them! They are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAn't you forget to give some of them back?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit they are growing on me. Earlier one of them was running around the brooder with the food tray on it's head. The rest of the chicks were looking at her as if to say "what on earth are you doing?!?"

    Mike - I think the kids might notice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brings back memories of school for me. I remember when I was in primary school, we got chicks every year and they were kept in the large hall. Every day when waiting in line for school dinners we would study the eggs and watch in amazement at the development of the chicks. I must say I have no recollection of being told where they went, or even talking about the fact that they would give us eggs or meat, just lovely memories of seeing life develop before our innocent eyes. Sadly I too work in a school but our LEA will not let us have chicks anymore, maybe they should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing those pics. They've just brought a huge smile to my face. I love spring and all it brings, including little chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela - It's sad that your LEA don't allow chicks. Why won't they let you?

    Sylvie - Glad they have bought a smile to your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always wanted to leave a wee thank you for the tiger bread recipe you posted but never got round to do it. Maybe now is the time. So THANK YOU.

    As for the chicks, we've spent 5 years in the UK with kids in primary school and all - we never had eggs to hatch at any of the schools and I can't remember anyone ever mention anything like it. What a wonderful experience for the kids! I love it. Thanks for sharing this as well.
    Continental greetings
    Dani x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dani - glad the tiger bread recipe worked for you.
    The egg hatching does work out quite expensive, but the kids learn so much from it.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.