Now the British Asparagus season is in full swing we've been taking advantage and eating asparagus in a large amount of meals. With some roast chicken left I decided to make a risotto. Perfect for this time of year. We both really enjoyed it.
Chicken, Asparagus & Lemon Risotto
Serves 2
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
1 big clove of garlic, chopped
200g risotto rice
100ml white wine
400ml hot chicken stock
6 spears of asparagus, chopped into 1/3
handful of cooked chicken
2 dsp lemon juice
knob of butter
half a handful of parmesan
seasoning
1) Gently fry shallots and garlic in the olive oil in a deep saucepan for 3 min. Add rice and stir for a further 2-3 until the rice is translucent.
2) Pour in the wine and turn up the heat until the wine is absorbed. Gradually add stock 1 ladle at a time, each time waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more. After the first ladle of stock stir in the asparagus, after the 2nd ladle add the chicken. After the last ladle of stock has been added stir in lemon juice.
3) The risotto is ready once all the stock has been absorbed and the rice has a slight bite. Stir in parmesan and butter. Leave for 2-3 min before serving.
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Chicken, Asparagus & Lemon Risotto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This looks quite tasty. Curious, do you have any tricks up your sleeve when it comes to cooking risotto? I've never had much luck - a bit sticky or too soupy.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to try this, looks like the flavors would be light and bright.
Oooh I love the sound of this Jules. Perfect spring into summer fayre ;-) I will have a go this weekend. And will also get back to you with a curry recipe for you..
ReplyDeleteGreat way to make use of English asparagus!
ReplyDeleteThis looks just wonderful - great way to incorporate asparagus!
ReplyDeleteErinn - sorry I can't give you many tips as this is only the 2nd time I've ever made risotto! The tip I was given was to add the stock one ladle at a time and not to add the next one until the previous stock had been absorbed.
ReplyDeleteLadyfriend - I look forward to seeing your curry recipe.
Nic & Jackie - The lemon and chicken worked surprisingly well with the asparagus. Just a shame asparagus isn't around for long.
Oh thanks for posting this risotto. I made risotto for the first time on Thurs night and I fell in love(except for the labor of it). Now I need to explore new things to do with it!
ReplyDeleteRisotto with asparagus and lemon sound really fresh ad spring like. It looks good.
ReplyDeleteHi Jules, I made this risotto (my first ever succcessful risotto!) last night and it was delicious. Voted a 10/10 by hungry b/f, too! I was grateful for your step by step (ladle by ladle instructions) as I think this is where my attempts at risotto have gone wrong in the past. I made a few changes...I'm contrary like that ;-) I used more asparagus (just to use up the pack really), prob about 10 stems. I also used some lemon zest with the juice which gave it a really zesty lemon taste. And served with chicory, watercress and spinach salad, sprinkled with walnuts and mandarin orange segments. Yum. Nice bit of greenery with the risotto! Thanks so much. This will now be a firm favourite in my repetoire! xx
ReplyDeleteI just love the sound of your risotto Jules it calls of fresh flavours and with asparagus that little extra special taste!
ReplyDeleteRosie x