Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Monday, November 10, 2008

A Brilliant Brew



Hubby's family originally come from the home of brewing in the Midlands (incidentally also the home of the evil that is Marmite) and naturally his family know a good ale when they taste one. One of the first pubs Hubby's family introduced me to is also the best brewery in Burton - The Burton Bridge Brewery. Situated near one of the bridges over the River Trent, the pub tied to it has a great cosy atmosphere and a traditional skittle alley upstairs (popular in Hubby's family for parties). On our wedding day we had kegs of Burton Porter it went down incredibly well and in most of our wedding photographs you can spot a glass of it somewhere!

A recent discovery for us, on the beer front, is the various beers available from Samuel Smith Brewery based in Tadcaster, Yorkshire. The only stockists I know of in Derbyshire are Chatsworth Farm Shop and Sound Bites, a great organic, ethical shop in Derby. As I was in Derby on Saturday I decided to pay Sound Bites a visit to stock up on their beers. In the summer I tried their Raspberry beer and this time went for the cherry beer, strawberry beer and Best Ale. Trust me, I would have bought a lot more if I didn't have to carry them back up Babington Lane to the car.

I was first drawn to these beers by the labels, quite different from other bottle labels (yes I'm the type of person who chooses a book depending on how pretty the cover is). I'm yet to try the strawberry beer, but the cherry one was gorgeous. Almost like alcoholic cherry aid. I didn't realise until last night how strong it was; coming in at 5% alcoholic volume. I'm looking forward to the next time I'm in Derby so I can stock up.

Print this post

6 comments:

  1. How can you not like Marmite!!! The Beers sound really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beer, I tried no later than Friday Samuel Smith's organic lager, in a vegetarian restaurant in London where my wife (Veggie Carrie) and I went for her birthday. I am usually no big fan of lagers (I prefer good old British ales), but this one was quite nice, and vegan, therefore ethical. I tried a few of products of the Burton Bridge Brewery, they make nice beers (as far as I remember). I hope I can taste their seasonal beers this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate marmite too! It is most definitely evil stuff! I would happily indulge in these beers instead :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - I suppose it's one of those love/hate things!

    Guillaume - Like you I'm not usually into lager, but like the Samuel Smith lagers. I always enjoy tasting Burton Brewery brews.

    Holler - glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found these gems down where you are. Smith's are a true institution here in Yorkshire, and they are resolutley 'old-school' in terms of operations and, as you can see, art. Damn fine beer, make sure you stock up, like you say! I can reccommend the 'Taddy Porter' - but to be honest, all Sam Smiths beers are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh - Next time I'll certainly have to give Taddy Porter a go.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.