I can't believe we're only just into November and I'm beginning to seriously think about Christmas. I blame the food mags as they are full of Christmas recipes. The morning started out on a trip to the Westfield Derby. I admit I'm sucker for cookshops and the new Lakeland has opened there so before you knew it I was in there, some how I managed to leave without buying anything. However I can see myself back there before the end of the year.
The Food Hall in the centre has an interesting mix of food outlets. Last time I was there I ate at Pieminister and wasn't particularly impressed so this time decided to try somewhere different. Hana Puri caught my eye, specialising in south-Asian cuisine with the food being cooked fresh on a charcoal grill. I had a a chicken tikka wrap (not feeling adventurous!) that was delicious with the perfect amount of chicken, salad, raita and chilli sauce. Their curries also looked delicious and I will certainly be returning. Just a shame most people were queuing at the KFC a few doors down and missing out on this great food.
Next I was off to Chantry for their Christmas Open Day to quaff mulled wine, taste some great Bitter Sweet chocolates and order the Christmas turkey for my parents and a few other festive treats. I had a time scale to keep as I was also planning on making our Christmas pudding and HAD to be home by 3pm if I wanted to get to bed at some decent hour. I was cutting it fine especially when I realised we had run out of string and had to make a mad dash to the only shop around, a garden centre, to pick up twine. It was that or I would have had to use a shoe lace.
Traditionally I make the Christmas pudding on Stir-up Sunday but socially we are booking up fast and this weekend was really the last weekend I knew I would certainly have a 6 hour slot to steam the Christmas pudding. Plus everyone knows a great Christmas pudding is a pudding that has been matured for a while in a great deal of alcohol.
Last year I made a Guinness Christmas Pudding and as it went down so well I thought why mess with something that is so good and made the same for this year, learning from the mistakes I made last year. This time I made it in the right size bowl, though this did mean I had to make a slight adaptation to the saucepan to get it to steam properly. I did think of putting a silver coin in the middle, but as the pudding is probably going to be microwaved when reheated on Christmas Day I didn't think this would be such a good idea!
It smelt so good as it steamed and turned a delicious dark brown. It's now all wrapped up ready for Christmas Day. I just hope it tastes as good as last years pudding.
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Sunday, November 09, 2008
Gearing up for Christmas
Labels:
Christmas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm getting really excited about Christmas, already! I don't like mince pies or Christmas pudding, which is a shame :(
ReplyDeleteLike you I am starting to get all excited about Christmas. What got me going was picking up a copy of Nigela's Christmas cookbook! Even after ten years over here in England I still don't like Christmas Cake, Christmas Pudding or Mince Pies, I'm afraid. I love the smell, but there are just too many dried fruits in there for my liking. I'm impressed that you're making your own!
ReplyDeleteLizzie & Sylvie - I know quite a few people who don't like christmas pudding/pies due to all the fruit. I have to admit I adore Christmas pud and could eat it all year round :D
ReplyDeleteAs for Christmas cake I much prefer stollen and am planning to make some in the coming weeks.
Oooh how exciting! We've been soaking our fruit since yesterday and I'm going to do the final mixing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it as I've never made Christmas pudding before.
ReplyDeleteI bet that Christmas pudding smelled divine!
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe you managed to leave Lakeland without buying anything! I am impressed with the strength of your resolve :)
Ive got to make mine soon!! I can't believe in a few weeks we'll be putting decorations up!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're so organised. I'm thinking of trading all the fuss in for Christmas lunch in a pub this year.
ReplyDeleteI have just placed a massive order at Lakeland1 I love that place....I will make this pudding, I trust you!
ReplyDeleteGinger - I've just read your blog about your puddings and they look great.
ReplyDeleteHoller - I think the fact it was packed up with people who were just as excited as me put me off a bit!
Beth - I can't believe how fast it has come around.
Mallika - trust me I'm not usually this organised ;)
Picperfic - The thing I love about Lakeland is that it is full of things you never realised you needed, but must buy.
Made my puds last weekend - really got me in the Christmas mood too!
ReplyDeleteI adore all things dried-fruit - the pudding, the mince pies and the cake! In fact I don't know why I only have the pudding once a year when I love it so much.
Antonia - I think saving Christmas pudding just for Christmas makes it taste even better!
ReplyDelete