
This post is a slight departure from my usual food blogging. Things have been a bit mad here with me returning to work to begin a new term plus Hubby & I have been been in training for the Yorkshire 3 Peak Challenge which we will attempt in a week time. We're walking it with a bunch of friends to raise money for a school close to my heart along with the NSPCC. It's essentially a marathon distance walk with three big, steep hills (Pen-y-ghent, Whernside & Ingleborough) in the way, plus some scrambling thrown in for good measure.
We've spent most of the summer preparing for the walk and last weekend completed an 18 mile (29km) walk in just under 7 hours. I did mildly Hit the Wall around the 16 mile walk but with a 5 min break and a cereal bar I was ready to get going again. I know on the day I've got to keep my energy levels high as I don't want to have a crash between Whernside & Ingleborough. The night before we will be carb-loading (something I excel in!) then starting the day with the biggest bowl of porridge we can muster then feasting on lots of malt loaf, Jelly Babies & other energy laden foods en route.
I've always wanted to do a marathon, and although I'm walking this and not running it's still a marathon in my mind! If you would like to help my friends & I to raise money for the NSPCC & the school I work for please drop me an email at julesatdit AT googlemail DOT com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Saturday, September 05, 2009
Climb every mountain...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really admire you. I wish I was more athletic. Have a lovely weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful landscapes! I'd love to walk there too...
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Rosa
Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteSomeone on the Nigella website linked to this site, so here I am! Lovely photos and recipes, thanks for sharing :)
Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you? I'm from Grindleford, a small village in the Hope Valley. My parents still live there, I miss it!
Kay.
Congrats on achieving this challenge. Especially given the rubbish weather.
ReplyDeleteHeavenly Housewife - I wouldn't go as far as saying I was athletic ;)
ReplyDeleteRosa - I do love walking in the UK as the scenery is spectacular.
Kay - Now that would be telling where abouts in Derbyshire I am ;) . Let's just say I'm closer to Derby than Hope is. Hubs & I know the Hope Valley well as we spend a great deal of time there walking & camping.
Janice - I do the challenge in the next week, just training at the moment. At the moment the weather forcast is ok, so lets hope ti stays that way.
Good luck with the challenge! The photo made me feel really nostalgic - if I'm correct it's of Pen-y-ghent - it's ages since I climbed that one! I don't envy you doing three in one day, but that's obviously the challenge!
ReplyDeleteC - it is indeed Pen-y-ghent. We did the 3 peaks spread over 3 days a few weeks back as practice. I quite enjoyed the scramble up Pen-y-ghent. As for Whernside...evil hill. Looks like an easy walk, but seems to go on for ever. I can see me doing an impressive Cheryl Cole style strop half the way up Whernside.
ReplyDeletegood for you! I'm quite impressed. Was chatting to a family priginally from Yorkshire (now transplanted to winchester)this weekend, and judging by what ive heard of the terrain and the weather it sounds like your endevour must be as tough and rewarding as your photos & account suggest!!
ReplyDeleteSuch and inspiration to us lazy bums to get out on the land!
Good luck! Sounds like it will be amazing and walking is so good for the soul! And great exercise too! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun and it will be good to be out in the fresh air and walking for a good cause! xxx
ReplyDeleteGood luck - did the Yorkshire 3 peaks the weekend before last, as part of our training for the national 3 peaks this coming weekend. Would be fair to say am absolutely terrified! Hopefully you'll get better weather than we did - it was absolutely miserable! It's also worth stopping for tea at the little snack bar between Whernside and Ingleborough (if it's still open) - home made cakes and a cup of hot tea, as well as a very welcome loo! Don't forget your head torch. Good luck!
ReplyDeletesweet_tooth - I'm preparing for rain, typical Yorkshire weather!
ReplyDeleteCurious Cat - I get quite a adrenaline rush when I climb to the top and to make it even better it's a free form of exercise.
Em - Thanks for the pointer of the snack bar and loo. I think we'll certainly be in need of them by then! Good luck with the National 3 Peaks.
Oh you are going to have a fabulous hike. Fingers crossed for a bit of good weather as I know how tiring it can be dragging feet out of muddy bog. I relied on fig rolls .. great slow release food. Good for you! Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteWow I so want to do this. Was up there last month camping, but noone else was into hill walking. Thought it would be fun to take the camping stove and camera along too, pick nettles on the way and make nettle risotto. Found wild raspberries and rhubarb lower down. There's food everywhere!
ReplyDeleteA packet of crisps once saved me from hypothermia. And a white-out rain storm on Green Gabel in the lake district one November was made a lot warmer with a meat and potato pie. Of course mint cake is essential too.....
WOW that walk looks fab, its the sort of thing my hubbie would love to do, I on the other hand would probalby be better staying at home and baking the carb goodies to load him up with..lol
ReplyDeleteJules I've popped in to ask a favour, will you nip over to my blog and see if you can help? I am trying to perfect a heavenly pink lemon cake and thought I could borrow your expertise on the subject! Its all for a good cause too, ‘The help whip cancer appeal’
Thanks in advance!
Tulip
http://tulipskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-need-help-with-my-heavenly-pink-lemon.html
Not sure how to post a link here, so you'll have to cut and paste I'm afraid! Thanks
Oh you've brought back some memories for me ... my first school 'away' trip was to Ingleborough and we stayed in the grottiest place with disgusting food, I swear with the lack of decent food and all the country walks, cave walks and hill walks I came back weighing much less.
ReplyDeleteStill though it's a beautiful part of the country and I enjoy going back there now.
Em - we found the snack bar and loo just in time before they ran out of ice cream.
ReplyDeleteSome say cocoa - Although we trundled though a few bogs we thankfully dried out quickly. One of the group had a huge stash of fig rolls with her.
James - if you ever get the chance to do it certainly give it a try. It's a great experience.
Tulip - I've replied to your post :)
George - From my experience Outward Bound centers never serve great food!