Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mini Beef Wellington


I first tasted Beef Wellington at a friends wedding last year and it was delicious, only now have I gained the confidence to try it my self. Some recipes suggest using fois gras, but I decided to go for the non-fois gras version as 1) it's a great deal cheaper and 2) I won't eat fois gras. It was a great deal easier than I thought, however I did over cook the steak so it was more well done that I would have liked, but I'll know for next time.

Mini beef wellington
Serves 2

1 packet of ready made puff pastry
2 fillet steaks
150g mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
25g butter
1/2 tsp thyme
70ml white wine
1 egg, beaten
seasoning

1) Sear steaks on both sides, then sit aside to cool

2) Roughly chop mushrooms (I pulsed them in a blender. Heat oil & butter and fry mushrooms and thyme for around 10 min until soft. Season with salt & pepper. Pour in wine and cook for a further 10 min until wine has been absorbed. Allow to cool.

3) Roll out dough, then cut into 2 lengths. Put 1 tbsp of the mushroom mix (duxelle) into the 2nd quarter of the pastry length. Place steak on top then put another tbsp of duxelle on top. Fold pastry over and use a fork to seal the edges. Repeat with the other steak. Place in the fridge for 30 min.

4) Preheat oven to 200oc. Brush pastry with a beaten egg then bake for 20-25 min until golden.

Print this post

7 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to give Beef Wellington a go for a while... glad to see it's not as challenging as expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - I haven't made individual ones before. What a nice idea for a dinner party.

    I tend to use chicken liver pâté instead of the foie gras. I mix it with the mushroom mixture and then smear it over the beef - sounds a bit strange, but it tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Jules these look brilliant!! I could just tuck into one of those atm lol

    BTW Jules, The Great British Pudding Challenge is under way for this month starting from today until the end of the month 30th November.

    http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/2007/11/great-british-pudding-challenge.html

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good, and very simple. I'm going through a British icons phase at the mo, so I may give it a try. Why won't you eat Fois Gras? I can't get enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I don't like liver so have never eaten pate. Hubbie eats pate, but won't eat fois gras on ethical grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of foie gras, I fold a tablespoon of blue cheese in right on top of the fillet before cooking. I am not a "stinky cheese" fan whatsover, but this is AMAZING and quite subtle because it melts away and just leaves a tangy rich accent flavour. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. katydid - Like your I'm not a stinky cheese fan, but I will certainly try your blue chesse idea.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.