Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Today, work has been busy we wanted a quick and easy tea. I've never made proper sweet & sour chicken before as 1) the list of ingredients scared me and 2) never had all the ingredients. As I was flicking through old cookbooks at the weekend I came across a recipe for sweet & sour in The Nation's Favourite Food. I did adapt the recipe slightly.

I served it with egg fried rice and it was far nicer than I was expecting. Hubby commented as how it was just as good as the takeaway version. This is even quicker to make than ordering one and probably a great deal healthier.

Sweet & Sour Chicken
Serves 2-3

2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 chicken fillets, cut into cubes
1 medium red pepper, cut into 1in pieces
thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 spring onions, chopped
1 small tin of pineapple chunks, drained
black pepper

Sauce
1 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
175 (6 fl oz) chicken stock
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp of cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp of water

1) Heat oil in wok, add chicken, peppers, garlic and ginger then fry for 3 min. Add spring onions plus pineapple and stirfry for a further 30 sec.

2) Add all the sauce ingredients, bring to the boil then simmer for 6 min. Season with pepper.

Print this post

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy that combo of sweet & sour with fried rice, and your dish looks a real treat Jules!!

    I must try your recipe out ;)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet and sour looks delicious! I've never tried making it before, well not properly anyway but I might give it a go! It's looks a lot nicer than take-out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks superb Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    The chicken looks good :)

    Just wanted to say I got your pm but the bag wont let me do anything to reply so I'm not ignoring you! I'll try & reply tomorrow after we've stuffed ourselves full ;)

    But if I dont, I hope you & Hubby have a good day on Sat. I look forward to your report!

    Claire
    x

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.