Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Crispy Cod & Posh Peas


My quest to introduce fish into my diet continues. Last month was salmon and this month is cod. The only time I've had cod before is from a fish & chip shop. I would try and eat fish more, but there is a distinct lack of fishmongers where I live and the farm shop only sells fish once a month and I'm yet to brave tinned tuna etc...

I coated the fish in my new best friend - polenta. I gives the fish a lovely crispy coating. Hubby made his delicious Heston Inspired Chips to accompany the fish, peas and big wedge of lemon. I love peas at the best of times, but slightly pulsing the pea 1) made them easier to eat as they didn't roll off! 2) intensified the pea taste. We'll certainly be coming back to this dish. Next time I would like to try it with either hake or haddock.

Crispy Cod
Serves 2

2 cod skinned fillets totalling around 340g
100g polenta
1 tbsp garam masala
juice and rind of 1 lemon
2 spring onions finely sliced
rapeseed oil

1)Mix polenta, garam masala, lemon and spring onions. Smother each fillet with a small amount of oil. Press each fillet into the polenta mix until evenly coated.

2)Heat a small amount of oil in frying/saute pan on a medium heat. Cook fish for around 3 min each side until golden. Drain fish on some kitchen paper before serving.

Posh Peas

1.5 cups of frozen peas
1 tsp mint
1 tbsp creme fraiche (optional - just makes them slightly more creamy)

1) Cook peas in boiling water, drain, add mint then blitz with stick blender or processor until you have a thick, coarse paste. Stir in creme fraiche.

Print this post

7 comments:

  1. Well done on those chips - they look fantastic. I also saw the Heston's show on the Perfect chip, but thought is is just too much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina - the chips are worth the effort, they taste so delicious. It's odd but they don't taste anything like normal homemade oven chips. The only difference is that Heston deep frys them, but we cook them in the oven at a high heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! It all looks superb!

    I hate to put a downer on things, but when choosing what fish to try next, please note which types are now critically endangered. See this article for more details: http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cod-haddock-halibut-sea-bass-monkfish-the-new-deadly-sins-for-ethical-consumers-661365.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. aforkfulofspaghetti - I must admit when I bought the cod I was aware it was on the endangered list, but as a new fish eater I wanted to buy something I knew I would like. Hopefully in the next few months I'll discover more fish (that isn't endagered!) that I like.

    I never knew haddock was also endangered. Thank you very much for the interesting link :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jules, what great looking chips I must take a look at your link.

    Gosh I'm the same about haddock Jules - I wasn't aware until now it is also on the endangered list!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I had forgotten polenta crust. Creamy polenta's the best thing for roast chicken.

    These days of course you can get your fish delivered to your door. We ended up in a Loch Fyne restaurant in Bath at the end of the Cotswold Way, and they have a fish counter you can buy from in the restaurant, but they do mail order too: http://shop.lochfyne.com/Categories/Salmon/Fresh_Fish. I've also been to the smokery in Loch Fyne - and there is nothing that touches the quality of what they do.

    There's other fish suppliers now that deliver to your door in special boxes which keep the fish at the right temperature - try googling 'fish home delivery'. Shopping is so easy these days without even leaving the house!

    Re tinned tuna - if you mix it with cheese sauce, pile some homemade tageletelli on top and sprinkle with grated cheese and bake it in the oven, the pasta goes crispy on top - nice texture & a different take on fish pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosie - the chips are certainly worth a try.

    James - thank you for the interesting information.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.