Blog has moved, searching new blog...

This blog is now called Butcher, Baker has moved to: thebutcherthebaker.wordpress.com
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!

Butcher, Baker

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

St George's Day - Bangers & Mash


Today in England we celebrate St George's day. To mark the day I decided to cook some truly British grub in the form of bangers (sausage) and mash with caramelised onion and cider gravy...just a shame the dish didn't really go with the beautiful warm Spring day we have experienced today with the temperatures touching 20oc.

The sausages were delicious apricot and sage sausages and I believe sausages are the few savory foods that can get away with a pinch of fruit in them. Hubby has a sasuage making kit winging it's way to him now, so soon we'll hopefully be having a go and making our own sausages.

Bring on the summer I say - BBQ's, Pimms, Eton Mess, raspberries, eating alfresco, drinking wine on the patio, drinking cider with friends while camping...need I say more.

Print this post

8 comments:

  1. Oh that looks lovely (apart from the apricots!) and I really wish I'd made more effort with dinner now..I haven't had sausages and mashed potatoes for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Georges Day (for yesterday)!!
    Why don't we get the day off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is a St. Georges Day baby! I think looking at your photograph we should have had sausage and mash.
    A sausage making kit winging its way to Derbyshire - not that's serious gadgetry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of those aprocot and sage bangers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bangers and mash look so tasty! I love good ole english food! Happy late st. georges day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What yummy bangers and mash I just adore traditional food like this!! Happy belated st. georges day!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Bangers and mash! Classic British fare. You have me craving Eton Mess now too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ginger - you could see the apricots more than taste them, though I know how much you hate fruit in savory food ;)

    Nic - I wish we did have the day off!

    Margaret - Happy belated Birthday to your daughter.

    Ladyfriend - They were lovely, and lighter than traditionally flavoured sausages.

    mrsB & Rosie - Happy belated St Georges to you too.

    Helen - I adore Eton mess! it's the taste of summer.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved to www.thebutcherthebaker.workpress.com you can leave a comment here (but it may take me a while to reply). Pop over to the new blog, or email me at julesatdit@gmail.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.