This months Great British Pudding Challenge is Toffee Apple Pudding. There is a copy of the recipe & rules on Rosie's blog. As there's just the two of us I halved the recipe and steamed for 55 min in 2 mini pudding basins. In the words of Nigella my pudding looks very *cough* "rustic" thanks to me not greasing the mounds enough. I also meant to serve them with custard. I wasn't in the mood to make proper custard so was going to use some readymade stuff I had on standby, but the custard tasted so horrible we ended up serving it with whipped cream.
I felt like I was on Masterchef trying to get the puddings on to steam within minutes of the pies being ready. Poor Hubby got quite a shock as he walked into the kitchen to find dirty dishes all over the place. I admit I'm not the tidiest cook, but trying to keep everything on track tonight almost got the better of me!
Find all of these posts and much more over there.
Scroll down to see the post you're expecting!
Butcher, Baker
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Toffee Apple Pudding - The Great British Pudding Challenge
I'm reading: Toffee Apple Pudding - The Great British Pudding ChallengeTweet this!
Posted by
Jules
at
9:47 pm
Labels:
blog event,
British,
Pudding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A small disc of greaseproof paper at the bottom of the puding tin is fail safe, then a sharp knife to release the side.
ReplyDeleteAdd some vanilla (scraped seeds or essence or acombination) & cream to ready made custard to make fake creme anglaise which actually tastes almost as good.
I have never yet dared to make a steamed pudding. Rustic or not, I bet yours were yummy.
ReplyDeleteHi Jules, sorry it's taken a little time to get back due to me having P.C. problems!
ReplyDeleteWell I think your puds look fab Jules and thank you for taking part in The Great British Pudding Challenge :)
Great tips and advice by James too :)
I will get you linked into the post for this pudding now all id aok with my P.C.
Rosie x
Oh what a shame but tip here, next time make sure your basin is really greased, as this helps with the pud coming out with real ease
ReplyDeleteWell done and i am sure it was really yummy.
Maria
James - Thanks for the great tips.
ReplyDeletesylvie - I had never made a steamed pudding until recently. Like you I was too scared. I promise they are a lot easier than they seem.
Rosie - Don't worry about the delay :) I was glad to take part, as you know how much I love puddings!
Maria - Thank you for the tip.
I think it looks great - you can see the apple - it's just how I like it! I know what you mean about the custard, there are some quite good ones and then there are the others...
ReplyDeleteIf it tastes yummy, who cares what it looks like! Congrats on completing the challenge! now on to look at your pie :)
ReplyDeleteNic - I think I'm going to stick to Ambrosia when it comes to the ready made stuff.
ReplyDeletePixie - It's true what you say. In the end it's what it tastes like, not what it looks like.